Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What's On My Workdesk Wednesday

Hi folks...hey it's Wednesday already and that means I'll be popping over to Julia's place to join in the fun at WOYWW...where lots of lovely crafty folks allow us to have a little snoop into their crafty spaces.
Before I show you what's on my workdesk today...I'm in the kitchen making a great big pot of Cullen Skink Soup and if you've no idea what that is...it's a gorgeous hearty fish and potato soup which originated from the village of Cullen in the North East of Scotland...
Basically it's just smoked haddock...onion or leek...potatoes....fish stock...salt and pepper
While the potatoes are cooking...melt a generous dollop of butter in the pan...gently cook the onion until translucent...add the fish and milk and leave to poach for a few minutes...flake the fish into bite size pieces with a fork...
once the potatoes are cooked....mash lightly...add to the soup with the stock...season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for about 15 minutes.   You can either blitz the whole lot in a food processor to make a smooth creamy soup or remove some of the flaked fish and add after processing...this is the way I like it but it tastes just as yummy either way eaten with crusty bread or oatcakes...
And on the crafty agenda today...it looks like it's going to be another die-cutting day...time to crank up The Big Shot for some fun with fabric felt and Big Z dies...loving the12" x 12" sheets of Papermania Home for Christmas self adhesive fabric that I stumbled across in Hobbycraft...
and look what I found at M&S....gorgeous Christmas tea towels...perfect for die-cutting
Nordic is the big trend this year so how could I resist a couple of fabulous Christmas cushions
and a mug for my Christmas cuppa...

See you all tomorrow when I'll be back to share a card or two I made with the fabilicous stamps and Framelits dies from my lovely Sizzix buddy Paula Pascual.
Hugs Kath xxx

25 comments:

  1. ...oh Kath your soup looks very hearty , the new die's look very festive and so many gorgeous things in the shops right now too, especially loVe that Foxy cushion...have a super day...Melxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Kath, Why that soup looks yummy, I believe we are going to need it by the end of the week as the weather is taking a turn for the worse!! (so they say)..
    Have fun with those dies..& tea towels.. Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chowder looks yummy...i love a good soup on a cold, bistery day.

    Those pillows are great...my sister (the equestrian) would love that fox pillow...whe used to hunt eons ago.

    I got a lovely, nordic looking candle lamp for Xmas last year...so perhaps I shall have something stylish to put out. What fun!

    Looking forward to your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks yummy Kath and great minds think alike as I am ordering some of them Christmas Cushions too! lol :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your soup looks amazing and I love all your finds! They are fab! Have a great week trace x 46

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kath, definately going to try that soup, we love smoked fish and that looks gorgeous. Love the new cushions and look forward to seeing what you do with the dies. Not joining in WOYWW today, off away for a few days. Will catch up when I get back. Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup looks very warming and yummy! I love the Christmas items, the cushions and towels, but the mug - must get one!! Helen, 19

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm I can almost taste your soup! I love the red and white too. Have a lovely day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great soup Kath....super big dies to play with and loving all the M & S products...might have to treat myself too, but what first?!
    Hugs Erika.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, my absolute favourite soup - keep me a big bowlful. In fact, better make it two.

    Ann
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kath,
    Your soup looks de-licious! Have saved the recipe, might just give that go.
    I love the M&S tea towels, their whole Christmas ranges are fab this year. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Have a great day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That soup looks delish :)

    Love those 12x12 sheets, but have managed to resist buying them so far!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the soup looks yummy, but so do those gorgeous Nordic cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those tea towels, may have to get some sent over.
    FAMFA 29

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kath, I LOVE Cullen Skink! had no idea it was so easy to make! Will definitely give it a go. Thanks for the recipe. Love, Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you could start a Taste of Scotland blog. Interesting to see the Nordicness creeping in - now Kraft would be absolutely perfect with that.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy! And, what a comfy looking chair!
    Karen 129

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your soup looks scrummy, had to have soup for my lunch after seeing your post lol. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Paula's dies tommorrow, hugs Heidi xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum.gorgeous photos Kath. I imported a couple of sheets of that paper with me to the US, will be interested to see what you do with them.
    Hugs
    En x

    ReplyDelete
  20. luv Cullen Skink but never mad eit myself. Loving those cushions too x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum, Cullen Skink, yum! Gorgeous cushions, and what a great idea to cut up those tea towels! Have fun...
    Alison x
    #35

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kath your soup looks rather yummy. You always manage to make me feel hungry. Those tea towels are lovely and so are your beautiful cushions. Take care. Hugs x ChrisB

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Nordic is always popular, never really goes out of fashion does it? I've been watching Wallender and I'm as much taken by the scenery and the design as I am the stories! Your soup looks wonderful, I've heard of the soup but never actually had any. Love the dies and are you really going to die but the tea towels!!!

    Hugs
    Brenda 3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Kath all that food is making my mouth water, although I've already had a big bowl of homemade soup for my dnner tonight..I love that Nordic look too
    Have a good week
    X Julie (Paperpathway)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The soup looks good if a bit yellow - the only die you need is from Timmy!
    X

    ReplyDelete